Home > India > Missing Andhra MP surfaces at Hyderabad hospital

Missing Andhra MP surfaces at Hyderabad hospital

December 21, 2009

Nearly 15 hours after making a dramatic escape from a hospital in Vijayawada, Congress MP Lagadapati Rajagopal reached Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS) in Hyderabad.

The Vijayawada MP, whose indefinite fast opposing the proposed division of Andhra Pradesh entered the seventh day, got himself admitted at NIMS even as pro-Telangana supporters raised slogans against him.

Tension prevailed at NIMS as police made massive security arrangements anticipating law and order problems.

The industrialist MP, who gave slip to policemen deployed at the government-run hospital in Vijayawada Sunday night, made a dramatic entry to NIMS in an auto-rickshaw through the rear entrance.

Witnesses said he walked into the emergency block of the hospital.

The MP is believed to have reached Hyderabad early Monday, taken rest at a guest house and waited for the government’s decision before to treat him at NIMS before reaching the hospital amid high drama.

Earlier, Andhra Pradesh police chief Girish Kumar suspended five police officials of Vijayawada for dereliction of duty.

An assistant commissioner of police, two inspectors and two sub-inspectors were suspended as they failed to prevent the MP from escaping.

The MP disappeared Sunday night by giving the slip to 300 policemen deployed around the Government General Hospital.

The police launched a massive manhunt, which continued throughout the night and Monday morning around Vijayawada and highways, leading towards Hyderabad.

Chief Minister K. Rosaiah held a high-level meeting with officials and later an emergency cabinet meeting, where he decided to allow the MP to be treated at NIMS.

The government had earlier rejected his demand, anticipating law and order problems.

The government decision has come under criticism from all the parties in Telangana including leaders of Congress party.

Pro-Telangana groups like Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) and the Joint Action Committee of Osmania University students have threatened protests against Rajagopal.

It was at NIMS that TRS chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao was admitted during his ‘fast unto death’, demanding the formation of a Telangana state.

Rajagopal was arrested twice in Hyderabad for trying to launch indefinite fast here Dec 14 and he was sent back to Vijayawada the next day.

Categories: India
%d bloggers like this: